Wednesday, December 24, 2014

IELTS Experience



I recently gave IELTS exam. Results haven't came out yet.But I would like to share my learnings and experience.
Though since it an English language exam, I didn't take it very seriously but I guess the money involved that is around Rs 10,000 kind of forced me to take it seriously

On The Exam day
Try and avoid reaching super early. I am a  really punctual person but this particular time I wished I was not that particular, because reaching around 1.5 or 2 hours before the exam just makes you sick of waiting - at least it did to me.
But do keep a margin of around 30 min. Just carry your passport and photostat of the same but make sure your face and signature are clearly visible. If still in doubt, carry a colored one. don't carry any pencil box or pouch because they won't allow to carry it inside so not point carrying the luggage.
First thing to do once you inside the exam center. Submit your belongings. get your photograph clicked, the invigilators will instruct you to form queues as per your Passport prefix like "H"xxxx95x. Next wait for exam to start. NOTE: Do eat any thing healthy/fried what ever you can your a hold of before entering the examination hall. 

Just an outline of the exam :-

Listening - the sample test which I had given were very straight forward but 3rd and 4th listening question are not that straight forward. But since the speed is pretty slow, it should not be a problem.

How to prepare - Listen to BBC documentaries. Download "Clip Grab". Select a video from youtube and copy paste the URL on "Clip Grab", select the pixels and sit back and enjoy. You may download the subtitles for the same to get a good hold on the pronunciation. One time I saw a BBC documentary on Indian army and I felt like joining the army :)

Reading - The second passage was a piece of cake based on memory of adults and aged people. The first passage was about some sea animal's jaws. The third passage was about the economy of developing countries and technology. I got True/false/Not Given type question in all three passages.
The length of passage is generally longer than the once given in the sample booklet you get once you register for the exam.

How to prepare - Give special on the kind of question you feel you are weak. Like I felt that my True/false/Not Given type question were usually wrong even in the practice tests. So at least aim to solve 12 passages, with varying difficulty or all average difficulty type.

Writing - Depends on your luck :)
Task 1 - I got a line chart to interpret (easy).
Task 2 - Should government spend money on project to look for life on other planets or use that money for the welfare of its own citizen.
How to prepare - Practice , a little cramming of pretty catchy lines and more practice.

Speaking - Try to short and crisp in your answers.
The interviewers are really intelligent. They try to know you and your domain first and then align the general questions with respect to your domain.Just stay confident. They are not going to ask you something out of the world. Just don't stop. Speak rubbish but keep talking anything staying on the track.

How to prepare - Make mirror your friend. Give your introduction and pick any topic like festivals, your first mobile phone, some meeting incident, flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment